Monday, July 25, 2016

Unexpected Roadtrip to Las Vegas

With my trip to Ethiopia, coming up this fall, I did not have any big vacation or traveling plans for this summer-until a few weeks ago. When I found out that one of my dearest friends, Nikki, was planning on moving to Las Vegas, Nevada and driving out by herself I found myself volunteering for the journey! It ended up being a double blessing, because God knew the trip would not only be safer if Nikki had a friend to share the driving and time with, but also because He knew I needed that quality time with her and a bit of adventure to grow closer to Him. :)  

Nikki and I met in my junior year of high school and became part of the same group of friends. After I got back from YWAM, Nikki told me of her interest & I helped her to research some different schools. She ended up doing her DTS in Panama and spent the next 2 and 1/2 years or so working with YWAM. Since then, we have become so close through holiday visits, messaging, and skype. Our trip out West was full of lots of driving, laughter, more serious conversation, beautiful sights, and some fun adventures. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here is a bit of our trip!


Nikki and I left around 11pm on Wednesday night.

We reached Chicago, Illinois by 9am Thursday morning. I don't really have many pictures of PA, Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois, but we did get to stop and have breakfast with my friend from YWAM. Kristina and I haven't seen eachother in  3 years-It was a short but wonderful reunion! 


We traveled through the remainder of Illinois and Iowa and then slept in Omaha, Nebraska for the night.

On Friday we spent the morning driving through rainstorms in Nebraska, but our spirits were brightened when we saw the sign for Colorado. We knew it was going to be beautiful, but we weren't prepared for the breathtaking sights we encountered. The farther we drove the more beautiful it became.


Friday night we stayed in Moab, Utah and it was dark as we drove into the state so we weren't prepared for the view that we would see in the morning. There were also horses behind our hotel :) We were surrounded by redrocks for most of the drive through Utah. 



We arrived at the Grand Canyon on Saturday afternoon and spent a few hot, but wonderful hours there before finishing our journey to Vegas.
We finally arrived! 
 This is a view of the Watch Tower overlooking the Grand Canyon, which you can climb up for a view from the top floor!



The ride from the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas was supposed to be 4 1/2 hours, but there was an accident so we spent 2 hours not moving on the highway.

We arrived in Las Vegas late Saturday night and most of the family was asleep. In the morning I met the Thompson's and their 5 children. Just in my one day there I was able to see what an amazing, God following, passionate family they all were. I knew right away that it would be hard to leave

Nikki and I spent the afternoon exploring Las Vegas with her spiritual mom, Jen. 
I got to eat at In-And-Out Burger for the 1st time! We saw some of the views on the strip and then headed inside because it was extremely hot. One of the hotels had a conservatory with a Finding Dory theme!
The fountain show we watched before heading back to the house. 
Not the best pictures-but Nikki and I went on a walk in the neighborhood that night. We got a surprise fireworks show AND snuck out into the dessert and climbed the mountain surrounding the neighborhood. The picture just didn't do our view justice. 

Leaving Nikki was extremely hard, but knowing that she is with such an amazing family helped. The adventure went my so quickly, but I was so blessed to be a part of it. Through this trip God allowed me to become even closer with one of my best friends-and to see His love through my relationship with her and interactions with others. Using the amazing places in our country that I had a privelidge to see, God reminded me of how BIG, POWERFUL, and CREATIVE He is. God takes my breathe away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment