Saturday, December 3, 2016

Out of the Hopelessness

 "I always thank God about Compassion's ministry for the needy, oppressed, depressed and hopeless ones like me." 


On my trip to visit Ruzeya I learned so much about Compassion International and how it has helped and is helping so many people. I wanted to share another encouraging story with you. A story of Hope. During my time traveling to visit Ruzeya I got to hear the my translator, John's*, story. John was actually a sponsored child who grew up in Addis. He entered the Compassion program when he was around 8 or 9 years old. 

During his time in the program he had multiple sponsors, but there was one sponsor that he had for over 7 years and he said that she helped him get through the hardest times of his life. During the time that she was sponsoring him, things weren't easy at home and when he felt depressed or as if things weren't going to get better her letters reminded him that he was worth it and that he had a future. There was now hope for him. 

Many times children in developing countries don't even finish secondary school since their families can't afford the school fees. But not only was he able to finish secondary school but he also went through the Compassion leadership development program and went to University. John has now been working for Compassion Ethiopia for 7 years and is also currently taking classes for his MA.

He said, "I don't know where would I be and how I would end up without it. My family had nothing to feed me up, to buy me clothes with or to send me to school. The time Compassion appeared to my life it was a BIG & HUGE surprise. Words will never express my appreciation that I have for Compassion!"

Because of the Compassion program, John also learned about God and became a Christian, growing in relationship with Him. Sponsorship in John's life not only met his physical needs, but also his mental, emotional and spiritual needs. He has two younger siblings, a brother and a sister, who were not enrolled in Compassion's program. Today, neither of them are Christians and John's younger brother spends his time on the streets of Addis addicted to the local hallucinogen and alcohol. It is amazing how the future of a life can be changed when there is hope. Being born into poverty can lead to a mentality that says "I am nothing" and "This is just the way things are". But through encouragement, discipliship and knowing God, John now lives a completely different life than he ever imagined. 

"You know what God did through Compassion? It not only released me from financial or economic poverty but from every aspect, especially from hopelessness and despair and it made me think that there is life beyond the challenges that I was passing through."



*This name has been changed for the privacy of the translator and his family

2 comments:

  1. Wow... it's crazy to hear the difference that sponsorship makes. I know it makes a difference, but personal stories are so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing when you get to directly talk to someone who's life has been so greatly impacted by Compassion! Hopefully I will soon have even more to share!

      Delete